A Rug can be a purchase for a lifetime and for generations if cared for properly. Fine wool or silk rugs should be sent to a rug cleaning plant for immersion cleaning, or if the rug is heavily soiled by urine.
The information contained herein offers simple, basic tips on cleaning and protecting your rug.
These rug cleaning tips are merely suggestions and you may wish to contact your rug cleaning professional for advice.
Depending on foot traffic your rug will need periodic washing by a rug cleaning professional.
- Rotate your rug periodically for even wear.
- Vacuum on a regular basis. Be careful of fringe and the height of the beater bar. Consider not using the beater bar.
- Use a quality underlayment, pad or cushion to allow for cleaning and prevent slippage
When stains occur, dilute with water. Do not soak the area. Work quickly, do not allow stains to set. Blot from the edge of the spill towards the center using a clean white paper towel or cloth.
Avoid as much as possible rubbing the area or pushing the stain further into the pile. For semi-solid or solid spills use a spoon to scoop up as much as possible.
Allow to air dry or dry with a fan or hair dryer. Avoid excess heat if a hair dryer is used. Once the area is dry brush pile lightly with a brush to restore texture.
You never know when a spill will occur. To expedite the clean-up please consider keeping the following items in a small kit for this purpose:
- Clean white cloth
- A soft bristle brush, like a clothes brush
- A few of our handy cleaning solutions
- White vinegar
- Dry cleaning fluid
- Weak ammonia
- Clean sponge